Wednesday 4 January 2012

Visiting Houston.

In September I made my first ever trip to America, and to say I was excited was some what of an understatment. I found everything exciting: the yellow school buses, the huge drains, fire hydrants, newspapers on peoples lawns, the massive roads (for the massive cars), the traffic lights. And the thing I found most exciting....the supermarkets. They were just HUGE and had so much to choose from. Also, there were so many samples to try on your way around the store that my boyfriend and I would go for a free lunch! One time we had orange juice, apple danish, burger and crisps, a stew, and a rice cake. What a feast!
Just look at all the different candy to choose from.


This is a selection of some of the cakes on sale in one of the local supermarkets. The flowers are all made of buttercream. They were amazing.

I was very excited to visit the Oh La La cake shop, It would be my first experience of an american cupcake.
The shop was beautiful and there were so many to choose from. I went for a red velvet, as did my boyfriend. I make my own red velvet cupcakes and they are a definite favorite in my house.

It looked so pretty and was huge. As i was told, everything is bigger in texas!


I couldn't wait to dig in, it looked light and fluffy and I liked the sponge to buttercream ratio.

I could have not been more disappointed. It was dry and pretty flavorless. The buttercream was very light but tasted synthetic. At least I wouldn't be wanting to eat my body weight in cupcakes!


One lunch time we went to Champs, an american sports bar. I decided to go for a blue cheese and bacon burger - it was amazing, the best burger I think I have ever eaten. I struggled to eat it all and ended up with a tummy ache, but it was so worth it. My mouth is even watering just writting about it!



I was in america for 2 weeks and there is no way I could go that long without bakingI In fact I ended up baking twice. I will share the recipies on here soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment